Friday, August 5, 2016

Take small steps to your goal, then look back and see that you made a big leap!

Take small steps to your goal, then look back and see that you made a big leap!

Many of us just wish to live a normal life and be able to take care of our loved
ones or our families. However, it seems that such is a luxury rather than a normality in today's economic climate. Some of us also wish to live at an above normal rate, in order to guarantee a happy and prosperous life for our self and our future, as well as our children. We have seen just about every scam and lucrative business go down the drain, from Enron, to small businesses struggling to stay open. So it is logical to say, that hard work alone will not bring us riches or a happy life, if anything, hard work is not a guarantee to anything, as you can still get fired, and if you have a loan, you can still lose your business. So what exactly is it that keeps successful businesses afloat, successful people making a steady income, and others happy with what they have? it is simply, their state of mind and ability to be persistent on a given goal. The easiest thing to do is give up. In any situation, and whether it be a good or bad situation, we have to make a choice the same way, to continue, or give up, or give up to continue. Might seem simple, but it is really that simple. We know all the formulas and rules to not be successful, yet very little on the road to success. A famous quote from one of my favorite books, Think and grow rich, "The ladder of success is never crowded at the top".

I've had what I call extreme success with my goals and I can definitely attribute such success to being exposed to various books, audio books and an open mind. One example I will use, is a goal I set from my last year of college that materialized in front of my eyes.

When I was in my last year of college, I took a course called "Systems Analysis and Design". This course was very interesting to me, as the male side of my family is very business oriented. We love planning, outlining and making things happen or making things work. We touched on a topic of what a Systems Analyst does and how it helps the other core people in various projects come together and achieve a specific goal. I've been fixing computers since high school, and that has been my passion, and I envisioned both of these coming together, making an interesting career for me. Since that class, that's all that's been in my head.

After Graduation, I went to Jamaica for 2 weeks, and I only thought about this goal 1 day and saw myself actually going to work with my briefcase in the morning. I got back from my vacation and and immediately worked on my resume intensely. I wanted to be different, so I searched for about 12-15 jobs and found out the specific key words they were seeking in a candidate and included them in my resume, as well as making sure my resume was over 1 page, without too much redundant stuff. in 2 weeks I had a job, as a Desktop Support Technician, Level II. I was promised a permanent position within 2-3 months, and in the 5th month, I was told there was a hiring freeze (November 2008). At that point, I made a choice to focus my attention to finding a new job, more geared towards my satisfaction and not to the sake of just having a job. I set the terms of my employment and minimum salary rate I would take, and within 3 weeks, I was offered the opportunity to interview over the phone. I was given a 2nd phone interview a day later and then an in person interview 2 days later. I was so confident, it was as if I knew I had the job and was gearing up myself to start. I started as a Corporate IT Analyst 3 days later, and currently in that position today.

Now look back at the starting point and see how I reached my goal. It is obvious some goals may require more effort and dedication, but it is still possible.

No one can make you do anything, it is you who make the choice to do or not do to it.

As Morpheus would say in "The Matrix", "Free Your Mind" and then make the jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment